[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [Decolonize Together] Re: Tuesday Nov 29th summary and plans for the next 24 hours

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 02:01:28 UTC 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Decolonize Together] Re: Tuesday Nov 29th summary and plans
for the next 24 hours
Date: 	Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:18:41 -0800
From: 	Ki Won Yoon <kiwonyoon at gmail.com>

Another update:

The proposed support rally at 9 pm tonight has been called off, based on
intel from multiple sources saying an overnight raid tonight is highly
unlikely, given the city's own uncertainty as to a best course of
action, continuing conversations about the Mission space between the
city and many who are interested in it, and a general lack of appetite
on the part of the city for an Oakland-style showdown, especially during
the holiday season.

Various groups are meeting throughout the day trying to coordinate these
efforts as well as drafting a unifying statement to the extent that it
is possible.

Now, a personal opinion (please excuse me):

I was, and am, one of those vocally opposed to signing any kind of
agreement with the city regarding the Mission site. At the same time, I
am profoundly concerned that many who felt different from me felt that
they did not have adequate space to express those differences of
opinion, both last night and during the days leading up to it. That's
becoming very clear to me the more I talk to others about this. Many
simply walked away from the GA last night.

I'm pleading with everyone to focus on our unifying principles and
aspirations regardless of the tactical choices that are dividing us
right now, and stand in solidarity with each other no matter those
individual choices. If we are to put together a collective statement
today, it must be inclusive of those voices that were not given space
last night.

I fully believe we can decentralize and unify at the same time. This is
a chance to do it right. The OSF umbrella can become large enough to
bring everyone together, even those independent groups at city colleges
(who have already been asking to coordinate better with us). No one may
own OSF outright, but everyone should have access to it. Whether they
decide to start a new camp in the Mission, keeping trying to hold down
101 Market, start other autonomous occupations across the city, focus on
city-wide and Bay Area-wide direct action, outreach... No matter how
opposed I am personally to the city's license agreement in principle, I
am ready to stand in full solidarity to those who want to take up that
opportunity. Diamond Dave has been talking about this arrangement for
many GAs now. Maybe we should call it the Diamond Dave Model in tribute!

We are all here because we are ready to give. No matter our tactical
choices, we're here to transform the socioeconomic system and the
political system for the better. Let's keep that in mind, please. This
is a precious opportunity to re-think how we collaborate and how we move
forward. As much as it's been draining dealing with the bickering and
the feelings of hurt and loss of trust, I remain excited about this
opportunity. I hope you share in that sentiment.

Ki Won

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Ki Won Yoon <kiwonyoon at gmail.com