[Noisebridge-discuss] tacking into the wind - my observations and thoughts from tonight

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:11:18 UTC 2011

Tonight was eventful.  There is lots of video up online you can see, if
you are not sure where to start check twitter histories of #occupysf and
#osf hashtags, and video logs from
http://www.ustream.tv/occupysf
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/magicmint

We began to hold GA in justin herman plaza and were soon given an order
to disperse. People who did not want to get arrested spread to the
perimeter and those who were willing to get arrested stayed in the
center.  Police violence, ziptie handcuffs, and lots of tense waiting
ensued.  Those in the center held an assembly, asserted their
requirement for 1st amendment rights, and were able to negotiate their
own release.

Cops left the immediate area, telling protesters they would not be
arrested at this time but could be in the future for using a closed park.

We continued GA.  (lisa, diana, and myself on facil team) People wanted
to camp in JHP but did not really have the numbers or stamina to hold
it.  I was struck by the way people held space without disrespect.  Our
core is strengthening and our self-respect is growing.

When I left SF around 1am there were a few tents on the concrete risers
overlooking the park.  101 market is occupied.  the concrete risers
along embarcadero going north from the plaza were occupied by several
sporadic structures and individuals.

It is suggested that we try to focus attention on the tactics of
occupying foreclosed homes and occupying schools and universities, as
well as the upcoming Saturday march and Monday port shutdown.

I agree with these ideas and in general suggest that we spend the
public's attention wisely, endeavoring to provide new people with ways
to plug in to the movement that don't involve police batons.  There are
new people out there who are supportive and curious about this movement,
with fresh energy, resources, and ideas.  It's only after you come to
love everyone facing those batons, through broader shared experiences,
that you can't stop yourself diving in there too.

Also in discussion after midnight an interesting idea came up... that
while Occupy DC might be especially positioned to examine and influence
politics, and Occupy Wall Street might be expecially well suited to
focus on, well, Wall Street.... We in San Francisco might be especially
well suited to focus on the cultural evolution that this movement
represents.  To me this is exciting because that is the very thing that
has been drawing my attention, but i also hope that it might be
heartening to those who worry that we spend too much time on
community/interpersonal growth and understanding.  Those things are an
important part of this movement and one we are uniquely suited to work with.

Tonight I have spoken with many many people that are feeling their
resolve only deepen.  I saw such an amazing turnout from the Noisebridge
affinity network.  I feel confident that this theft of our possessions,
battery of our friends, and wholesale trampling of our rights is a
crucible from which we will ever rise, stronger.

R.