[Noisebridge-discuss] microscope has been found

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Dec 5 22:42:43 UTC 2011

I am being entirely honest with myself by posting what I did and nothing
more.  I stand by my previous statement that jay did several things that
by themselves would warrant a ban.  It did not seem that anyone disagreed
with me, although people had differing  methods of keeping him away.

You say you think we screwed up, by what?  Asking someone if they had
stolen something that we suspected they took and sold?  We didn't call the
police and have him arrested, we didn't confiscate his laptop in payment,
we didn't etc etc him.  I glared at him, but he deserved it.

you say:
> We should also talk about this at the meeting. Some of our systems for
> preventing this kind of mistake worked, and some of them didn't, and we
> can always improve them.

I disagree.  What mistake did we make?  If accusing someone of something
they didn't do is a mistake, you better start working for the Innocence
Project because there are people in jail for decades for things they
didn't do.  THAT is a mistake.

I have said that apparently Jay didn't take our microscope, but I also
think that any microscope being sold on a blanket on the sidewalk of the
castro probably didn't wind up there voluntarily.

You say you're getting ready to send an apology to Jay through email.  I
was specifically told (by you) not to email Jay unless I wanted him to
come back to the space.  Unless you think the things he DID do were fine,
and you've got a cure for whatever is ailing him and Jorgen,  I ask that
you let things be and keep the number of dangerous wingnuts down for now.

There was a wiki page for things that have gone missing, maybe you
created it, and the microscope was on there.  That page is totally
missing, i can't find it with a search.

-jake

Danny O'Brien wrote:

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> a while ago it seemed that a certain person had stolen it, because
> someone thought they had seen that person selling a microscope on the
> street and we noticed it was missing.  It seems that person must have
> been selling a different stolen microscope, because it apparently wasn't
> this one.

I appreciate you posting this, when you could have also just not said
anything publicly on the list. But I don't think you're being entirely
honest with yourself or others when you give that as the most likely
conclusion.

I think being suddenly vague about who it was that was accused and who did
the accusing, and then concluding that, well, heck, the only explanation
must be that the possibly-imaginary microscope must have been stolen from
someone *else*, is just compounding the earlier error. We have to be as
honest as we can with ourselves.

Here's how I would describe what happened:

"a while ago a lot of us believed that Jay had stolen it, because Duncan
thought they had seen that person selling something from Noisebridge on
the street and we noticed the microscope was missing.  We screwed up,
probably because lots of us were mad at Jay for another reason entirely."

If we're not honest about the mistakes we made, we're going to risk
repeating them. People find themselves mobbing someone they don't like or
who did something wrong with lots of extra accusations, and talking
themselves into believing the worst of them.

I'm personally trying to work myself up to apologizing to Jay -- we all
have his email address.

We should also talk about this at the meeting. Some of our systems for
preventing this kind of mistake worked, and some of them didn't, and we
can always improve them.

d.