[Noisebridge-discuss] Spherical Flying Drone Looks Like Something From Sci-Fi Movies

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Wed Dec 7 22:57:42 UTC 2011

Yeah, US did that, half a century ago:
http://whiteeagleaerospace.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/convair-xfy-1-pogo-milestone/

This is my favorite, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VZ-3_Vertiplane

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> This thing is fucking beautiful.  One prop, facing up, with control
> surfaces under it to maintain attitude.  And when it's traveling sideways
> through space (and it's tilted) the air is directed through "wings" in the
> structure to keep it aloft.  It can travel at 66 KPH.  And it's apparently
> at least as stable as the best quadrocopters.  And not dangerous (you
> would have to stick your hand inside it to get chopped up)
>
> I say we build one RIGHT NOW.  Cory, where's that electric prop motor you
> have?  Do you still have the ESC and other parts?  bring it on!
>

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/242938/spherical_flying_drone_looks_like_something_from_scifi_movies.html
>
> Airborne Drones are all the craze this year, and Japan is getting in the
> game too. Japans Ministry of Defense showed off a flying demo of their
> spherically-shaped drone at the recent Digital Content Expo in Tokyo.
>
> A video from DigInfo shows this little drone taking off vertically, nimbly
> zipping around the room, and correcting itself when struck. A propeller
> blade powers the drone but it is also equipped with wings that allow it to
> fly at speeds of 40 miles per hour. The kicker is the drone only costs
> $1,400 to build using off-the-shelf parts.
>
> The quick maneuverability shown on the video is comparable to the Parrot's
> AR.Drone, but thanks to its spherical shape and three on-board gyroscopes,
> this drone wont flip over and fall to the ground when it hits a wall.
> Japans drone can actually fly along a wall, or even land on the ground and
> roll to its destination.
>
> This drone could be used for anything from security, military,
> photojournalism, or to replace camera cranes used on movie sets. At the
> same, time sci-fi buffs like me might think it looks a lot light those
> flying death bots from Doctor Who or those round syringe-wielding things
> hovering around the Death Stars detention level.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>