[Noisebridge-discuss] Android users can detect CarrierIQ, everyone else is out of luck.

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Dec 8 01:27:08 UTC 2011

Try the Voodoo Carrier IQ detector.  Folks on XDA-dev vetted it.

My Rezound is clean.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> http://betanews.com/2011/12/07/android-users-can-detect-carrier-iq-everyone-else-is-out-of-luck/
>
> Android users have a multitude of options in order to detect whether
> Carrier IQ exists on their smartphones, with at least a dozen applications
> available through the Android Market. While most of the apps will not stop
> Carrier IQ from running, they will at least give those concerned with the
> company's actions some solace in knowing for sure whether they're being
> tracked or not.
>
> Carrier IQ's discovery -- that stealthily monitors cellular users'
> smartphone activity -- set off a firestorm of controversy over the past
> several weeks. Some see it as a serious threat to users' security and
> privacy, while others have likened the reaction to mass hysteria generated
> by the media.
>
> Even here at BetaNews the subject of how exactly to cover the Carrier IQ
> story has become quite contentious. I've asked this question repeatedly:
> is it really as bad as it seems? With the court cases now revving up, we
> will find out soon.
>
> BetaNews tested out two of the available options -- BitDefender's Carrier
> IQ Finder and Lookout Labs' Carrier IQ Detector. The tests were performed
> on a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket running Android 2.3.6 on AT&T's
> network, and both found Carrier IQ present but didn't indicate whether or
> not it was active. We presume so.
>
> Lookout's app has gotten between 100,000 and 500,000 downloads as of
> Wednesday afternoon, while BitDefender had received less than 50,000
> downloads.
>
> We also spotted a few apps that claim to freeze the process that runs
> Carrier IQ's hidden application. These include Trey Holland's Bloat/CIQ
> Freezer Free and RDMSoft's Carrier IQ Process Killer. Without more
> extensive tests, we can't independently verify these actually work as
> advertised, but customer reviews are generally positive.
>
> Have you got an iOS, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone and want to know where
> you stand with Carrier IQ? Right now you're out of luck. Apple's App Store
> did not contain any apps to detect the software: neither did BlackBerry's
> App World nor Microsoft's Windows Phone Marketplace.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>