[Noisebridge-discuss] Pwn yer Phne! Android edition! Jan 15, 2012, 4pm, NOISEBRIDGE!

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Dec 8 18:44:13 UTC 2011

My personal request from this group:

I would, personally, like to talk about getting Openssh built into a nice,
easy, and FREE package for Android.

Dropbear is fine AND dandy <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDUx0fTnNg>,
but it's not fully featured and our phones aren't, necessarily, limited in
resources anymore.

Openshh has many powerful features that Dropbear does not, including SFTP
and SSHFS.

SSHFS turns any machine with SFTP services into a SECURE and STABLE file
server.  I don't even worry about file services anymor;, Linux, PC, Mac,
all my systems connect to my server using SSHFS.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just log in to your phone and copy music
to it while still listening to it?  Wouldn't it be nice if you could rock
out while downloading your pictures over an easy to use network volume.
Wouldn't it be nice to connect DIRECTLY to a specific directory on your
android device and possibly making it a permanent volume on your home and
laptop computers so you always have one place to store your work?  Who
needs a public cloud when you have a private one in your pants?

Park your USB settings in "charge only" and handle all your phone storage
needs from anywhere in the house or anywhere in the world.

Sadly, openssh isn't building under the android toolchain right now:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6129123/sftp-server-on-android-compile-the-sftp-server-from-openssh-for-android

Lets fix it!