[Noisebridge-discuss] request for info re super-8 conversion hack

Theron Trowbridge theron.trowbridge at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 01:56:26 UTC 2011

It happened during the transition from black and white to color, and the
desire to make NTSC backwards compatible with B&W television.  They mushed
the color into the luma signal by adding it to a subcarrier in main signal,
but it caused some interference.  By slowing it down by 0.1%, they got rid
of the interference while maintaining compatibility with older sets
designed for 30.0 fps (well, really 60.0 fields per second) signals.

-Theron
^