[Noisebridge-discuss] Philosophy and Computer Language Question

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 03:19:41 UTC 2011

I have read a little bit of Whitehead and by one of his students, and have
one of his books and another that attempts to explain it. I have also read
a pretty deep book by a computer scientist that tries to relate Ontology in
CS and in Philosopy. Ontology in CS just means stuff like Object Oriented
vs Procedural vs Functional language, that is what is the best way to
describe a problem and an algorithmic solution. Ontology in Philosophy is
about what the stuff or nature of the world is, as a necessary precursor to
a Theory of Knowledge or Epistemology. In On The Origin of Objects, CS prof
Brian C. Smith attempting a description which includes both disciplines
proposed that the two fields are tied together dependently, but he never
really completed his theory planned to include practicality.

I think that the objects, processes, functions none of are the main things
rather the relations between them. How to make this practical then if it
would be useful is a question. People who claim that all computer languages
are equivalent because of Turing I do not believe because there are
practical concerns such as useability and codeability and efficiency and so
forth, even if they all make sense in some sort of limit, it is obvious
that the best approach currently is problem dependent and so perhaps there
is a more universal approach which might help us to achieve great gains in
terms of the above issues, if so it would be something as a breakthrough as
the Object Oriented languages were.

I would like to return to reading the Whitehead stuff this year as I have
only really peeked at it although I own these two books as I said.