[Noisebridge-discuss] two-way radios donation

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Feb 1 22:04:40 UTC 2011

Mike (effinnay at g mail) wrote:

462 - 467 MHz or so is GMRS, anyone can get a license and do up to 50
watts with any antenna.
But HAM bands are much cooler!

Josh wrote:

Also, please don't use them unless you know what you're getting into.
They operate on a small section of the amateur band (which requires a
license), and a bigger chunk of the commercial band (probably don't need a
license, but it's easy to accidentally interfere with others).  The radios
are from a jail, so they might also be programmed with police/emergency
frequencies, which is incredibly uncool (and illegal) to use outside of an
emergency.