[Noisebridge-discuss] Old ass Mac RAM

Gescykae Welz welzart at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 06:55:43 UTC 2011

Hello Noisebridgers,

I have been very reluctant to post this for a while because I feel
awkward panhandling on the list but here goes. I have an old Mac with
a PowerPC processor and believe it or not I've been able to keep it
running for sometime now. It hasn't been easy. I've taken it apart a
few times and done some interesting hacks to keep it alive. I have not
done this out of some strange obsession with vintage gear but out of
necessity, this is my only machine. Well I just found out from
experience that these machines have a hardware issue where their lower
RAM slot completely loses its connection with the logic board. The
only fix is to replace the entire logic board which would be a waste
of money on such a machine especially to just have the same issue
happen again. The machine originally came with a gig of RAM but now
with the lower slot out it now has 512 megs. It still runs but very
slowly and spends about half its time awake with a spinning beach ball
of death even just running Firefox.

I am hoping that some kind Noisebridger may have a single gig stick of
DDR SDRAM laying around unused because its so outdated. Just hoping. I
would even probably be able to pay a little bit of money for it. You
see, I'm unemployed right now and kind of down and out. I've been
trying to create a website for my mother's business and my time has
been spent unproductively waiting for my machine to "think". I'm also
trying to put together some of my film school footage to get my video
production portfolio worked out and Final Cut barely goes.

I do realize this post has nothing to do with hacking and it's a kind
of a pathetic plea for help but who knows, maybe someone has this RAM
laying around. It would go to a good cause, a jobless single parent
trying to get their feet on the ground. Also, I do use my machine for
hacking too so I suppose it's slightly related to hacking. The Arduino
IDE barely runs now as well.

If you have one of these 1G sticks you could part with you could
contact me off list and I would love you forever:
welzart at yahoo.com

Sincerely,
Gescykae Welz
'Jessica'