[Noisebridge-discuss] consensus process meeting project postmortem (worth reading)

Patrick Keys citizenkeys at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 21:29:50 UTC 2011

I'm starting this new thread for everybody to benefit, share opinions,
and hopefully gain interest in joining a subsequent consensus process
meeting.  It's been decided off-list that consensus process discussion
should remain on this main discuss list because everybody at noisebridge
has a stake in how we reach consensus at noisebridge.

My personal take-away from the consensus process meeting was many
things, as follows (PLEASE COMMENT ON ANY AND/OR ALL OF THESE!):

* people claim the noisebridge consensus process is broken but nobody
knows exactly why

* the hassle of the consensus process results in circumventing the
process in favor of the do-ocracy

* do-ocracy is also referred as "autonomous action" or perhaps even
vigilante action

* a random sample based on the consensus process meeting is that half
the people that participate at noisebridge aren't noisebridge members

* everybody at noisebridge can participate in the consensus process but
only members can block an item up for consensus

* the only benefit of being a noisebridge member is the right to block a
consensus item

* some people at Noisebridge will block any consensus item based on
their personal general opinion against consensus

* comparing bringing an item up for consensus versus just handling a
matter do-ocracy style, there is absolutely no incentive at all for
bringing an item up for consensus (quite the opposite!) because that
could just result in a block of the item.

* although we have weekly meeting notes, the details of any consensus
item and the reasoning of any consensus decision are ultimately at the
discretion of the weekly meeting note-taker.

Patrick