[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser Cutter Here - Pics and info

Alan Rockefeller alanr at halo.nu
Fri Feb 25 11:19:12 UTC 2011

I spent the last several hours working with the laser cutter.

It has some quirks but in general it works very well.

Here are some pictures of the device:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/alanrockefeller/IMG_0189.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/alanrockefeller/IMG_0193.jpg

One quirk is that if you are doing a raster engrave, you can not set
the speed too high.

On the manufacturers website they say this is due to EMI, but I don't
think that is the case.

Here is some artwork on paper, raster engrave, 85% speed:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/alanrockefeller/IMG_0190.jpg

Here is the same image at 71% speed:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/alanrockefeller/IMG_0192.jpg

Here is a 4 inch plastic disc:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/alanrockefeller/IMG_0185.jpg

8 inch particle board:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/alanrockefeller/IMG_0195.jpg

Todo:

Improve seal around exhaust vent
Install vent fan for DJ booth
Install a door on the DJ booth
Cover most of the window of the dj booth with plexiglass

These things will help keep the space from smelling like something is
burning.

Wiki page:  https://www.noisebridge.net/Lasercutter

Safety:

Read the instructions first.
http://www.fullspectrumengineering.com/files/FSL_40w_Hobby_Laser_Manual.pdf

Never turn the current up above 15 milliamps, that will fry the laser
tube quickly.  It is better to use significantly less power to extend
the tube life.  All of the things I did today used between 1 and 8
milliamps and there was plenty of power.  Using too much power on wood
or paper will start a fire.  Instead of turning up the power, turn down
the speed or use multiple passes.

Never leave the laser cutter unattended because sometimes things catch
fire.  A squirt bottle with water is next to the laser to
put out small fires.  A fire extinguisher is in the corner of the room
for larger issues.

It is possible to make the laser head bang against the side or top of
the unit.  This causes an awful noise and must be awful for the gears.
If the laser cutter makes a banging noise, stop it immediately and
reposition the laser head before the next cut, or resize the artwork.

Any program can print to the laser cutter, I had success using Inkscape
and Gimp.  As far as I know Gimp can not do vector cuts.

Do not cut plastics which create hazardous fumes when burned.  Acrylic
is ok.  PVC releases the very toxic gas phosgene when heated.  ABS is
bad.  In general, chemical resistant plastics should not be put in the
laser cutter.

-Alan Rockefeller