[Noisebridge-discuss] win scratch-off lotteries: an easier, more reliable way

Gian Pablo Villamil gian.pablo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 03:09:24 UTC 2011

I think Patrick is using a broader, and thought-provoking, definition of
hacking.

You could define the system being hacked as the system for randomly
generating reward-bearing scratchcards, and see if there is a systematic
flaw in them.

Or - like Patrick - you could define the system being hacked as the system
of selling scratchcards, which sometimes pay rewards but often don't, and
generate profits. This system, to some extent, relies on not all rewards
being claimed. There is a weakness in this system: if someone highly
motivated to find and claim all rewards has access to a supply of
scratchcards discarded by those less intelligent or less motivated, then
they can "hack" this weakness and make a lot of money.

I find this approach interesting and thought-provoking because by broadening
the scope of the system you are trying to hack, you also increase the number
of possible hacks. There are plenty of classic examples of this... You can
try breaking into a system by technical means, or you can call an employee
pretending to be a tech support person, and get them to tell you their
password. You can spend a bunch of time picking a lock, or realize that the
pane of glass next to it is loose.