[Noisebridge-discuss] personal computers at Noisebridge (was Re: Missing Green Bike /w Red Grips.)

jim jim at systemateka.com
Sat Feb 5 17:56:45 UTC 2011

    (apologies for continuing this thread, but shannon's
got good points)

    a reasonable summary seems that you and some others
wanted to use a classroom for something and looked into
turing, saw someone using the room, and felt that you
should gather not in that room. you've also been in the
main space when some other group has met in the main
space, i'm assuming because someone was in the classroom
and they, too, didn't want to disturb, so met "out there",
which was disruptive to others.

    it doesn't seem to matter that the person in the
classroom was using a laptop or desktop or something
else.
    you don't mention checking the other classroom to
see if there were people there. were there? what were
they doing?
    it seems that you and your group did not make a
prior claim to use the room (e.g. post to the event list).
    i'm highly sympathetic with the mouse-like tendency
to tip-toe away without asking someone who got there
first to move, but on the other hand, i think that's
on us mouses, not on the person who got there first.
if you have a need that's "higher" (more appropriate to
the resource), you absolutely should present your wish
to use the resource, it's a duty to us all that we
establish that etiquette (says me). at the least, i
don't buy your complaint because you didn't ask to use
the room.

    what's really wrong with this issue is the tone of
condemnation, it's got a witch hunt feeling.

    the use of resources is helped with advance notice.
for an ad hoc case, present your need and negotiate
sharing.

    as to the getcher-desktop-out issue, this is an
old "rule" conceived to stave off the possible trouble
of people establishing little areas that are not then
available to others. but that's trying to solve a
problem that hasn't occurred. in this particular case,
    this desktop computer has served some of us, and
isky's behavior, per my eye-witness, has been responsive
to others' needs. it does not seem to me that he has
made unfair use of resources nor that the matter of
desktop vs laptop matters.

    these long threads (and responses) are wearying.
"talk them to death or take action", well said. you
should have taken action as a matter of preference (i.e.
asked to use the room), awkward as that is: it's a
hacker space, and it's useful to hack our etiquette
(a la Call Off Your Tired Old Ethics) so's to improve
life in general as well as take responsibility for
getting what we want.