[Noisebridge-discuss] You and your pretty little Consensus Process too.

jim jim at well.com
Sun Feb 6 23:24:00 UTC 2011

    i like the idea that we all do whatever we please, in
the main.
    consensus is meant to stop group-think, herd behavior
and force discussion. used rightly, people are generally
permissive--you wanna do something, do it--except when
their particular interests are threatened--you wanna take
over the space for a lacquer airgun project; wait a
minute, that might screw up my fabrics, how can we
accommodate each other?
    when it comes to spending out communal moneys, things
can get difficult, but not if people are of good will:
pay the rent and the bills; you wanna we buy an industrial
laser cutter for $10K? i object, it scares me to peel off
so much of our money to buy you and a few others toys.
buy it yourself. you wanna we set up snacks and drinks?
i object, it scares me to peel off little bits of our
money repeatedly so you don't have to go to the store. i
claim not putting such requests to the group are good
will. the communal moneys are for rent and bills; we
should buy each other soap and toilet paper.