[Noisebridge-discuss] Noise-bot 2? (was "RAM me please")

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Feb 17 10:36:42 UTC 2011

ouch, that video was traumatic for several reasons.

this is however very impressive considering it was done in 1997.  Of
course hardware has come a very very long way since then (MIT/DIdeas
"Cheap Vision Machine" is a 50 MFLOP digital signal processor with 256K
words of SRAM and a memory-mapped RGB frame grabber).

The question is, can our programmers do what was done then?  I think we
can, and it doesn't matter what hardware we use.

I would of course love to build more robots, and I can (and I have the
parts to do so) but I would not want to divert our programmers from the
goal of making robotkind more interesting, to making them more prolific.

Regarding the nimbility of the robot, I realize that the thing has
demonstrated extreme clumsiness in the past, but the python script
governing those movements (controlled through an SSH connection) is almost
deprecated.  A new system is being developed by Lilia which controls
direction and velocity (technically rotational velocity and forward
velocity) with a real number, and runs in the background and can be passed
updated values from whatever program is controlling the robots desires.

As I was able to "dock" the robot to its electrical outlet using only its
joystick the other day, I know that it will be quite nimble when
controlled through proper software.  As for its size, it will remind us to
keep the space wheelchair-accessible.

Jared, you mention that you want to help with the software side of a
robot;  your opportunity is here.  Lilia is working on certain things
already but I can steer you toward areas of need depending on what you're
good at, and we can do some interesting things i'm sure.

As for 360 degree sonar and/or bump sensors, we are working on a
bump-skirt right now, and putting sonar on this robot would be a lot
easier than building a new robot and putting sonar onto it.

So... I think we should use the robot we already have and continue to
improve its software.

Once we get enough robot software working to need to branch our code, I
will be very excited to build another one.  I have plenty of parts.

-jake