[Noisebridge-discuss] CRT donations to noisebridge

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Feb 23 00:47:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> Personally, I'd rather not accumulate mostly-useless CRTs (in favor of
> LCDs), recyclers do like these (in a sense).
> I believe that California pays for them to be handled by these
> e-recycling groups since they're so toxic inside.

I don't want to accumulate them either, and with our current policy we
seem to have two in the elevator room ready for pickup, and three in the
hack area (two on the videogame setup and one is a video-monitor i almost
used the other day) so it's not too bad.

As for toxics, it is only that there is lead IN the glass (it's an alloy):
"Color and monochrome CRTs may contain toxic substances, such as cadmium,
in the phosphors.  The rear glass tube of modern CRTs may be made from
leaded glass, which represent an environmental hazard if disposed of
improperly.  By the time personal computers were produced, glass in the
front panel (the viewable portion of the CRT) used barium rather than
lead, though the rear of the CRT was still produced from leaded glass.
Monochrome CRTs typically do not contain enough leaded glass to fail EPA
tests." (from wikipedia of course)

so as long as we don't try to compost them, they won't hurt us.

-jake