[Noisebridge-discuss] colo in and around SF?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Feb 23 07:21:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 09:23:59PM -0800, Mitch Altman wrote:
> > Agreed, for most projects a hosted VM is plenty fine. However, if you
> > have special heavy IO or security and isolation requirements, no
> > shared hosting platform will beat a dedicated host.
> >
> > That said, on the VM front I'd recommend:
> > - EC2
> > - Chunkhost

I've had reasonably good success with linode, and I've heard others do
OK with gandi.net (but they're in France only AFAIK, which is a bit of a
bummer if you and your users are in the US).

linode in particular is quite a bit cheaper per month than EC2 for the
baseline config, but they bill by the month not by the hour, and it's a
bit more annoying to burst up more machines to handle a load spike
compared to EC2.

linode has facilities in Fremont (where my VM is) and elsewhere in the
US (Texas, Atlanta, NJ).  Huh, and England, I didn't know about that.

-andy