[Noisebridge-discuss] Banning Patrick from Noisebridge

Will Sargent will.sargent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 11:09:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Zedd Epstein <zedd.00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I guess it's my turn to defend the actions of the people that did,
> instead of the people that bitched. I'm way too lazy to actually try and put
> this in paragraph form, so I'm just going to put it in a bulleted list.
>
> *Officially Patrick hasn't been banned from the space. There are a number of
> us that will remove him if he comes to the space, and we put our names on a
> convenient list so he knew who he should try and avoid. Remember, there are
> no rules at Noisebridge. I can say that you can't come to the space, and I
> expect you to tell me to fuck off.
>
> *This letter was part of the discussion process. Consensus is the last
> resort. This is us applying as much social pressure as we can to explain
> that we feel his actions are wrong.

This.

There was a long and involved discussion about the difference between
"do-ocracy" and consensus, and I also went through the Vision
statement at https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge_Vision.  As
I understand it, Do-ocracy is individuals trying to be excellent to
one another, and Consensus is the process by which Noisebridge makes
official decisions.

Do-ocracy does not require permission or an official consensus
decision: it's entirely up to the individuals concerned to exercise
their best judgment in being excellent.  What happened yesterday was
that individuals (lots of them) agreed that the most excellent thing
they could do was to tell Patrick he wasn't welcome in the space,
effective immediately.

We've already done bullet points, so I'll do Q & A:

Q: Is it officially Noisebridge's decision?