[Noisebridge-discuss] Neural Net Workshop on 1/26/2010

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Mon Jan 3 22:04:49 UTC 2011

Hi Jesse,

I don't have much familiarity with B.E.A.M robotics, but I did
read through this FAQ:

http://faq.solarbotics.net/FAQ.html#q3

The workshop is focusing on artificial neural networks, which
are not the same as biological neural networks. If B.E.A.M
robots are based on analog RC circuits, then they're more
biological NNs (BNNs) than artificial NNs (ANNs).

There are many similarities between biological and artificial
neural networks that I'd be happy to talk about though. For
example the layered network structure is similar between the
two. The theory behind ANNs are more developed than for
BNNs, but the two fields play off eachother heavily.

The difference between the two types of networks is in how
complex the model for an individual neuron is. A neuron in
an ANN is typically less complex than a neuron in a BNN,
which makes it easier to analyze mathematically and also
to simulate and train on a computer.

I'd be happy to elaborate via the list or in person, the machine
learning group meets up every Wednesday at 7:30pm in the
back classroom.

  mike