[Noisebridge-discuss] global hackerspace cupcake competition

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 20:16:16 UTC 2011

Now we're getting into Shipyard style packing :)
Seems we have a battle of Hot Ideas and Cold Ideas.
I like the handwarmer idea on principle, but two things:
They never get anywhere near 350
icing is important!
I really like the freeze the fuck out of it solution.
When is the day? the 15th? I vote we make as many ideas as possible.
mer

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Michael Shiloh <michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Is it possible to cook rapidly by using some sort of explosion? Can this
> be controlled sufficiently for cooking?
>
> On 01/06/2011 12:03 PM, Lilia Markham wrote:
> > If we can just prevent the receiving hackerspace from ever opening the
> > package, our cupcake would occupy a superposition of all possible
> > cupcake states. We can decorate it with a little icing cat face.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Sean Cusack <sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
> > <mailto:sean.p.cusack at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     The handwarmers thing could totally work, right? We don't need it to
> >     stay hot for hours, just 350 - 400 for like 30 minutes! If we do a
> >     good enough job with the insulation, the UPS guy shouldn't even know
> >     anything happened. Worst case, if DHS confiscates out cupcake...I'd
> >     laugh my ass off. The terrorcake strikes again!!!!!
> >
> >     I think the kicker would be activating the handwarmers at the right
> >     time, and only the right time. I think the handwarmers activate upon
> >     touching air, right? I wonder if we could open a bunch of them in a
> >     glovebox and put them into an inert box with the ready to bake
> >     cupcake. The inert box would have a little door on it that could
> >     open when an Arduino uses some craaazy GPS wizardry thingy to
> >     determine when the UPS guy is almost at the destination.
> >
> >     What do people think? Is this reasonable? We don't do anything air
> >     sensitive enough in my lab to warrant a glovebox though. Anyone have
> >     access to something like that?
> >
> >     Sean
> >

> >     On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Lilia Markham <liliakai at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:liliakai at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >         If we deliberately make the package look like a bomb, will it
> >         receive more delicate handling??
> >
> >         public archive disclaimer: the above question is intended to be
> >         farcical and humorous. I do not in any way condone sending
> >         suspicious looking things through the us postal service. also i
> >         love my country and all the federal agents reading my email and
> >         their families.
> >

> >         On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Patrick Keys
> >         <citizenkeys at gmail.com <mailto:citizenkeys at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >             Is this a cupcake or a bomb? Our cupcake "package" is going
> >             to get
> >             confiscated by Homeland Security and never arrive at its
> >             destination.
> >             The unabomber of cupcakes.
> >             :-)
> >

> >             Patrick
> >

> >             On 1/5/2011 6:18 PM, Liz Henry wrote:
> >              > On 1/5/11 5:42 PM, Lilia Markham wrote:
> >              >
> >              >> I liked the idea of a self-baking cupcake. In fact I
> >             have had multiple
> >              >> conversations theorizing portable, self-baking cakes and
> >             cookies in the
> >              >> past. They would be great for camping, picnics...car
> >             eaters? (We're gonna be
> >              >> so rich!) Sadly, I fear that the only way to generate
> >             the necessary heat  is
> [...]

Ladycartoonist.com

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein