[Noisebridge-discuss] Help a brother out? Hoping this is appropriate

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed Jan 12 05:55:21 UTC 2011

"Awesome is a collection of interactive particle effect / screen savers
specially crafted to give you, your kids, and maybe even your cat hours of
enjoyment."

Incidentally, I really can't speak for nb-discuss, but there's a bit of the
Signal to Noise newsletter that's deliberately set aside for "stuff that
people who identify with Noisebridge do", with the filtering criteria set to
"interesting" rather than anything else. Obviously, I can't guarantee that
things get in there because there's not much room, but if people want to
send me stuff that they're doing so that other Noisebridgers know about it,
why then they should totally do that sending thing.

(It helps if you prefix with something like "When I'm at Noisebridge I run
the iPhone dev group/ making stuff in Tastebridge/usually setting fire to my
own hair". And it really helps if you give me a User: page on the
Noisebridge wiki because then people can go to it and say "Oh yes that
person!")

d.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM, meredith scheff <satiredun at gmail.com>wrote:

> It'd help if you told us what it actually *does*.
>

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Praveen Sinha <dmhomee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey hey,
>>
>> I wanted to send a followup email on this topic as nick and I and some
>> others were discussing on irc as to whether it's appropriate to send
>> possibly quasi-commercial projects or projects that aren't in the common
>> space to the list.  I think what Nick is doing is great and I applaud him.
>> And I think it's good to open up discussion on this topic.  I strongly feel
>> that noisebridge is a great space for mutual aid, and that we should help
>> each other in our commercial and for profit ventures.  Of course, there is a
>> fine line treading between having NB turn into and being mobbed by purely
>> for profit people.
>>
>> One thing I am thinking is that we start a new mailing list, like
>> noisebridge-mutualaid, where people post and ask for help on their personal,
>> commercial and worklives from the community members.  And even more
>> importantly, it is important that everyone knows what you are working on,
>> commercial or not, and would let a lot of people learn from the process.
>> This would leave NB-discuss for the usual discussion/drama on general
>> announcements and discussions on the space.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Love,
>> Praveen
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Nicholas Iannone <knyck2 at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Noisebridge discussers,
>>>
>>> This is nick, the guy who spearheaded the now slightly less noisy vending
>>> machine, anyway...
>>>
>>> I just released my latest iPhone/iPad app, 'Awesome' on the store Friday
>>> and it's flying up the iPad charts, nearly cracking the top 10 in free
>>> entertainment for iPad:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/theAwesomeApp
>>>
>>> It's free and there really is no reason not to download it immediately on
>>> itunes. it's at #13 now and just needs a little push to get over the hump
>>> and into the top ten, anything you folks can do to help out would be great.
>>> (#93 overall in free iPad apps as well)
>>>
>>> Suggestions for helping out:
>>>
>>> 1.) Download the app (easy enough) all you need is itunes and a link:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/theAwesomeApp
>>> 2.) post a link on your facebook page
>>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awesome/id412362331?mt=8  OR
>>> http://tinyurl.com/theAwesomeApp
>>> 3.) twitter some shit
>>> 4.) hack the appstore (wait...no, don't do that)
>>> 5.)write a cool song about it and post it to youtube (bit complicated)
>>> 6.) send good vibes my way.(super simple)