[Noisebridge-discuss] 2010 taxes

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Fri Jan 14 00:48:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>wrote:

> On 01/13/2011 03:31 PM, Shannon Lee wrote:
> > non-members are allowed to have shelves.
>
> Also, they're welcome to participate in the consensus - even if it's
> dreaded, it's certainly not a service without value. :-)

The question then becomes: what's the marginal value of a block over
convincing a member in good standing to block?  Often, it takes a beer or
two (times two people), so let's fix it at the fair market value for 3
reasonable beers (tips not included).

That is, every time you block consensus, you should forfeit ~$12 in
deductions to keep the IRS happy.  If that's problematic, bring a six pack
and "donate it" to noisebridge at the next meeting, as a "consensus offset."
--
/jbm

(And, hey, my accounting practices here are about as legitimate as
everything else that's come up in this thread.  Really, your deductions are
between you and your accountant, barring the "get the treasurer to say you
donated N dollars" game you may need to play.  Our original treasurer had a
very understanding stance on such things, but our current treasurer hasn't
yet said anything about that game.)