[Noisebridge-discuss] Stacks of dirty dishes

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 01:46:49 UTC 2011

I agree with al. I think the fewer dishes the better. Maybe we can put paper
plates in the vending machine?

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Albert Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com>wrote:

> Oh crap, the intern! I completely forgot! He's been locked in the
> basement for a couple weeks. Whew, boy I don't know how that slipped
> my mind.
>
> Though he needs to clean the basement before he can start on the
> dishes. It smells like something died down there.
>
> -Al
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Lilia Markham <liliakai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Don't we have an intern now? I don't remember his name so I will call him
> > Intern. Can we make Intern wash dishes?
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Frantisek Apfelbeck <algoldor at yahoo.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Message: 32
> >> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:14:09 -0800
> >> From: Albert Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com>
> >> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Stacks of dirty dishes
> >> To: noisebridge-discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
> >>
> >> I'm not sure I've seen the sinks not filled with dirty dishes more
> >> times than I can count on one hand in the last several months. This is
> >> kind of a tricky problem to solve, and I thought once the dishwasher
> >> got set up it would abate a little, but it hasn't. It's a standard
> >> "tragedy of the commons" problem: everyone has incentive to use the
> >> dishes but nobody has as much incentive to keep them clean.
> >>
> >> I've given it some thought, and I think the only long-term solution is
> >> to move the dirty dishes from the sink to the dishwasher, wash them,
> >> then put them in a box and drop them off at Thrift Town (about a block
> >> from Noisebridge). We can then switch to disposable plateware if we
> >> run out of dishes (which are a lot easier to clean up).
> >>
> >> I'll volunteer to do this.

> >> Chore wheels and constant reminders won't work in the long-term or for
> >> our particular space (there's too many people.) Elaborate technical
> >> fixes that we can invent aren't practical. Appointing or even hiring
> >> someone(s) to keep the sink cleared isn't something anyone wants to
> >> sign up for or we can really afford over the long-term.
> >>
> >> And the Thrift Town solution regulates itself nicely; if people care
> >> enough about having dishes over paper plates they'll stick around, if
> >> not, we'll have fewer dishes that need to be taken care of and it
> >> becomes easier to keep them clean.
> >>
> >> I've thought it through, but if anyone has solutions that are
> >> long-term, practical, and cost-effective then email this thread. I'll
> >> post a sign about this policy in the kitchen for people who aren't on
> >> the mailing list.
> >>
> >> -Al
> >>
> >> Hi to All!
> >> I appreciate that this was brought up to discussion but I strongly
> >> disagree with
> >> the solution and I've
> >> not seen this post on Tastebridge discussion list were it certainly
> >> belongs -
> >> the are not culprits but
> >> stewards of the place. Dishes has to be cleaned on regular basis, it was
> >> managed
> [...]

Ladycartoonist.com

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein