[Noisebridge-discuss] LED scarf *with* batteries [LED scarf with*out* batteries [driving multiple LEDs with minimal batteries]]

T t at of.net
Mon Jan 17 21:19:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:41, Taylor Alexander <tlalexander at gmail.com> wrote:
> It really sounded like the OP wanted to "build", not "learn", so
> something pre-made is probably best.

Uh, sure, but that doesn't keep me from having ideas that go beyond
original intent (and of course I change the subject line to make that
clear...)

> I mentioned before, you can get extremely cheap booster circuits
> designed for DIY-flashlight people, for ~$2 from dealextreme.
>
> Here is one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25505
> Specs are a little unclear, but comments say
> 3.2v 650ma output, and that it works with a single battery input.

= 2.08 watts.  Cool.

OK, cool, I guess you could drive a bunch of little LEDs from that.
In parallel.

Are there any complications from driving a bunch of little LEDs in parallel?

Off the top of my head...

- more wiring

- a current-limiter or resistor per LED

With a 12-19V you can run a chain of LEDs like xmas lights.  And only
have to limit current once per chain.

Tony