[Noisebridge-discuss] Shower current in front of the fab zone

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sun Jan 23 02:14:49 UTC 2011

* girlgeek at wt.net <girlgeek at wt.net> [110122 16:57]:
> For my part, I'm willing to put up with the dust and with the noise.

I'm not suggesting the space is to be pristine and silent. But again
I will say that the accumulation of sawdust -- even if it is largely
contained within the shop area -- is something well worth avoiding.
Particularly when cutting sheet material like MDF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard#Safety_aspects_of_MDF

Plywood also has safety issues, as it uses formaldehyde glue as well.
Working in spaces covered in this sort of sawdust is unhealthy. I'm
not interested in continuing to experience allergic reactions when
doing work in the shop.

Another problem with the accumulation of sawdust is that it's also a
fire hazard. Sawdust accumulating near a bench-grinder... not good. A
bench grinder grinding steel makes sparks. Sparks and piles of sawdust
are a bad combination. This is not speculation.

I'm interested in focusing on health & safety issues in the shop, and
source-point dust collection to prevent the accumulation of sawdust is
important aspect of this. Even if the shop moves to another part of
the space, or the whole space ends up moving to another building, the
dust-collection system can go with it.

John

--
John Magolske