[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge-discuss: mailing list versus forum system

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Thu Jan 27 18:35:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM, aestetix aestetix <aestetix at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd really not rather use something that's not locally hosted. What if their
> system had a malfunction and we couldn't get access to troubleshoot it?

You use the out of band management card.  Most people aren't aware of
how much control RMCP and similar protocols give the ops folks these
days.  Look at the feature set for Intel AMT 6, for example.  You can
reflash the BIOS over the network without even turning the computer on
now.  ASF 2.0 lets you turn computers on and lock out the local
console, too.

> Also, global politics aside, I don't like someone who is not a Noisebridger
> having the "god key" to enable or disable the entire system.
> Further, regardless of the complexity, if we have something local, we can
> modify it, and even create new modules and patches for it.

Why does the physical proximity to the machine have anything to do
with the hackability of its software?  Root is root.