[Noisebridge-discuss] Elevator wiring drop

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Jan 31 23:07:46 UTC 2011

based on what I heard about the radios having been already programmed for
a jail frequency for which we are not lisenced, even I think its not
appropriate to use them in a fixed location such as our collective.

I don't know if we will be able to re-program these radios at all without
some unfree software and proprietary cables, although maybe we could copy
the software and cable designs from a radio shop which would cooperate.

We can certainly install a pair of radios tonight for temporary use, but I
think the correct solution for the elevator long-term is a wired callbox,
and I think it should be easy to run a wire without too much hassle.

A single cat-5 cable would provide enough wires for a callbox (four) and
still have another four wires left over for an actual ethernet connection
should we decide to get fancy and put a little PC down there with a camera
and door-access keyboard etc. someday.

Another option for elevator love is to install a little dinger-chimer
thing which "reminds" people that the red light is on upstairs, meaning
the elevator needs to be "jiggled" so that it can be called downstairs.

Another option would be to move the microswitch on the elevator rails a
quarter or a half inch higher, because whats happening right now is that
the elevator stops moving upward because of switch A but before pressing
on switch B which is the one that allows the elevator to be called.
But that's probably something we are not supposed to be messing with.

-jake