[Noisebridge-discuss] Dark Room/Photography

Mark Cohen markc at binaryfaith.com
Fri Jan 28 01:31:37 UTC 2011

Hi John,

My name is Mark.. I've not used that darkroom yet.. But I do have some suggestions..

1. If you don't know the contents of the bottle and it's not labeled properly, you shouldn't use it. You are always better off getting your own chemicals and mixing them yourself (then label the bottle :) )
2. Depending on what your negs looked like, it is fairly easy to discern what happened. For example, was the edge of the film clear or black, could you see the text on the edge? This often indicates over exposure due to light leaks.
3. If you have clearly defined frames, i.e. clear neg around black boxes, that would indicate severe overexposure, if your edges are bleeding, or if your film is very grainy, that would indicate over development.

I've been meaning to take the 35mm camera out and do some shooting this week or weekend.. If you ping me off list, I wouldn't mind going out and doing a little "class" with you on the process.

You just need to supply the camera/film/chemicals (dev/stop/fix)

I don't have any practice film, but you can get PX or Tri-X fairly cheaply these days.

Mark