[Noisebridge-discuss] Door Access Control

Robb Pope dijjital at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 03:35:34 UTC 2011

Hey noisebridgers, I'm knee deep in the process of developing a web enabled
door access control system and I wanted to get some input on features you
think would be useful in a good all purpose door system.  I'm planning on
making it RFID with the ability to interface to it via computer software.
Here's a list of features I'm considering including.

 · Entrance Logging:   admins will be able to see at a glance who has used
the entrance through the SmartDoor Control software interface.  Date and
time will be logged for each “door event” (any time a user opens the door
via the RFID card system).

· User Managemert:  through the software interface, admins will be able to
add, and delete users from any of the SmartDoor systems.  Users are stored
in the system by their actual name, not card ID.  This simplifies finding
entries in the log and managing the user database.

· Scheduling:  Using the software interface, admins can set specific times
or ranges of time/dates that a user’s card will remain active.  This allows
certain users to have access to a space during specific hours or dates only.

· Remote Access:  The admin can trigger a door open event directly through
the software on their computer.  Additionally the admin has the ability to
trigger a door open event remotely from another location by dialing into the
network.

· SMS Notification:  Choose to be notified via SMS when specific users enter
the building.  Optionally control the system via SMS