[Noisebridge-discuss] Crowd fundraising payable on completion for unknown-until-completion recipient?

Sai sai at saizai.com
Thu Jan 27 04:11:52 UTC 2011

I'm writing up a coding challenge that I'd like people to be able to
put a financial bounty on, with no set trigger time / cash amount, and
where the winner of the challenge gets the money.

The closest solution I found is to make a Pledgie in my name and just
publicly promise to give it to the winner when it happens, or to EFF
if it doesn't get won within a certain period.

I'd prefer however not to have to be financially involved myself in
any way, so people don't have to trust me and I'm not effectively
personally holding the cash in trust.

I'd ideally rather have it work like a combo of Kickstarter (except
that payout only happens if triggered by challenge win, not by
date/cash threshold) and Pledgie (in that there's no set funding
requirement or time point and it's super easy to donate), with me
being able to either trigger the payment directly to the winner, or
declare it a wash and have nobody get charged anything.

Anyone know a way I can do this better? I tried to STFW but the
Pledgie plan is the best I could find.

Thanks,
Sai