[Noisebridge-discuss] more member shelves = more happy members = more NB income

Patrick Keys citizenkeys at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 07:34:59 UTC 2011

More Member Shelves
-----------------------
noisebridge could use more member shelves.
more member shelves means we could accomodate more members and thereby
have more membership income (theoretically).

One Size Does Not Fit All
--------------------------
personally, i think we could accomodate everybody better if we had
different sized shelves.
people that don't need much space could use smaller shelves.
people that need more space could use bigger shelves.
think of the shelves like post office boxes, with smaller ones higher up
and larger ones for heavier stuff closer to the ground.

Safety In Numbers
---------------------------
we could number the shelves, thereby making it easier to at least know
who has what shelf.
numbers are also more anonymous than having to write your name on the shelf.
You know what number shelf your stuff is in and nobody else does (unless
they physically see you come and go from the shelf).

Out of Sight, Out of Mind
---------------------------
shannon had mentioned making shelves way back when with doors on them.
with doors on the shelves, they could be BYOL ("bring your own lock").
also, having shelves with doors makes stuff "out of sight, out of mind"
for anybody with sticky fingers.

Hack Shelf
--------------------------
The hack shelf shares the space with the member shelves right now.
Moving the hack shelf separate from the member shelves might result in
stuff on the hack shelf getting used more often, which would be a good
thing.

Consensing on a Plan
If we can consense on a plan for new, improved member shelves, then we
can organize the budget and resources necessary to get the job done.
Then its simply a matter of getting them built and installed.

Feedback
Anybody have any comments about new/improved/increased member shelves?

Patrick