[Noisebridge-discuss] driving multiple LEDs with minimal batteries

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Tue Jan 4 22:49:38 UTC 2011

The trouble with rechargeable batteries is how you handle over charging and
over discharging.  You want the simplest solution possible.

A drawback of LiPO batteries is over discharging.  Other battery
technologies can also be over discharged, but the advantages of the others
is, their voltages drop to the point where the LED's would be very dim
before the cells reached a critical charge level.  LiPO's typically hold
their voltage to the bitter end...at least to the levels that we humans can
detect with our senses.  Motor's will happily whir, LED's will burn bright,
and you won't know it's too late.

To prevent over discharge with LiPO's, you need to have a voltage cut off
circuit of some kind.

Using Alkaline cells (AAA, AA, C, D, etc) means people can opt to use NiMH
or NiCad batteries.  Then battery charging is their problem, and not yours.

If you want to solve the recharging problem, your self, you can include NiMH
or NiCad batteries ( http://www.batteryspace.com/ ) and just provide a wall
wart that gives 1.5v per cell wired in series (2 cells, 3v, etc.) at
50mah-100mah of current, and you won't have to worry about over charging.

The same can be done for the A123, LiFePo4 cells I linked, only they require
3.6v per cell at a low current.