[Noisebridge-discuss] cheap LED power & boost converters Re: driving multiple LEDs with minimal batteries

jim jim at systemateka.com
Wed Jan 5 15:13:05 UTC 2011

   note that this is not a power converter. if you use a
booster to get higher voltage, you get fewer amps, and
the power is about the same.
   a particular LED has its specific voltage and current
requirements. current times voltage equals power. more
of the same LED requires the same voltage but more
current (e.g. using four LEDs that each needs two volts
and 10 milliamps requires a power supply that provides
two volts and 40 milliamps).
   the more power you need, the bigger the battery (or
the greater the number of batteries). power requirements
roughly equate to size and weight requirements.
   different types of LEDs have different voltage and
current requirements. if you use multiple different
types of LEDs, the power supply may need some parts to
accommodate each of the different types, i.e. more
size and weight affect to the overall circuitry.
   judiciously choosing which LEDs and how many to use
lets you approach an overall design that doesn't present
power supply demands that wreck the aesthetic. knowing
the LED specs and using a little arithmetic will help.