[Noisebridge-discuss] driving multiple LEDs with minimal batteries

T t at of.net
Wed Jan 5 22:10:27 UTC 2011

Outstanding.  A boost with a current limiter in a small package!

It that really is what it is, then Jim, in answer to your question, it would
seem that the output would be *up to* 30VDC, not 30VDC.  I.e. it would raise
voltage (as boost circuits do by definitiion) by cycling inductors or flying
caps or whatever at the appropriate rate to get the spec'd current limit or
30VDC, whichever is lower.

The beauty of this family of circuits (boost and buck and active current
limiter) is that there's logic that controls the frequency or duty cycle of
switching components to get the desired voltage or current instead of a
resistor that wastes some of the energy.