[Noisebridge-discuss] driving multiple LEDs with minimal batteries

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 21:00:04 UTC 2011

Hey. I just signed up for the mailing list (i've been on the useless digest
format for years, finally switched to the individual mails) just to I could
help here. First of all, am I responding right? Do I just hit reply all? I'm
new to the whole mailing list concept.

As far as LEDs, I do plenty of PCB design in EAGLE and have been playing
with high current LED driver circuits lately. I just made a board with 4
CREE XP-G LEDs that each are driven at about 800mA. The whole board draws
about 10w and puts out as much light as a 60w bulb! Gets pretty hot too...

I've recently set up my whole lab downstairs for SMT soldering, with a nice
microscope, hot air system, and all the bits and pieces I need for
soldering. Its pretty awesome!

I haven't read all the e-mails in this thread as they were all mixed in with
the digest till i switched it over an hour ago, but what are you trying to
do? Drive some LEDs from a single battery i gather? I've been meaning to do
that to make a flashlight, actually.

How many LEDs do you need to drive, and at what current level?

Have you seen some of the DIY flashlight circuits available at Dealextreme?

<http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25505>For circuit design, I use
the calculator on http://www.national.com/analog but it is focused on Lumen
output. Helpful though. You can also just look at their LED drivers section.
I found this chip with a quick search. Needs at least 3V but might be
helpful. Simple enough to use too.
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3405.html#Overview

I've become pretty familiar with their drivers, and could pretty easily lay
out a board to help if you need it. Then you could get them made at
BatchPCB, and if you need help assembling, I may be able to help at my place
in the South Bay. I am normally really busy, but this actually wouldn't take
too much time, and I've been interested in doing more open source LED
boards. I actually recently registered OpenSourceLighting.com, though I
haven't done anything with it yet. I want to combine 3D printing from Ponoko
with boards from BatchPCB, and create a little community to help people with
designing LED lighting solutions. Don't know if I'll ever take it off
though.

-Taylor Alexander

http://reference.kfupm.edu.sa/content/c/m/cmos_current_reference_without_resistanc_122569.pdf