[Noisebridge-discuss] WikiLeaks supporter witch hunt survey

mfburdett at gmail.com mfburdett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 04:15:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Moxie Marlinspike
<moxie at thoughtcrime.org> wrote:
> I think it would be much more prudent for the people involved in
> wikileaks to study past "witch hunts" -- which have actually been quite
> effective [2] -- in order to prepare for what is inevitably coming,
> rather than betting on the state acting "responsibly" if enough people
> post shocked or proud comments to the internet.

hmm we should have a witch hunt study group at noisebridge.  I've been
reading up on Wikipedia lately, laws still on the books like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Act and major players like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Gurley_Flynn (or more recently
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynne_Stewart -- still in prison)  A full
spectrum of above-ground and under-ground support networks seems like
the best one can do, though in general the history is pretty
depressing.

There have been (somewhat vague) pledges to support Wikileaks
circulating around, see e.g. https://tachanka.org/wiki/PublicEmperor

wonder what would happen if there was a site where thousands of people
sign up to say they are providing some form of "material support" to
wikileaks. authenticate each signature via twitter OAuth -- easy
one-stop shopping for the feds to investigate thousands of wikileaks
supporters via twitter... :p

--mark B.