[Noisebridge-discuss] 2010 taxes

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 05:59:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 05:36, Dr. Jesus <j at hug.gs> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
> > On 01/12/2011 09:01 PM, Dr. Jesus wrote:
> > > Who's deducting their membership dues from their taxes?
> > >  My accountant says as long as I'm not receiving any value
> > > from my membership then I can deduct the full amount, but
> > > I don't want to find out the hard way that there's a catch
> > > I didn't think of.
> >
> > I do not believe this to be true unless any membership fees
> > count.  Membership fees are not a donation.
>
> Deductibility seems to hinge on whether value is being
> obtained in exchange for the dues, not whether they are a
> donation.  As far as I can tell, my membership dues don't buy
> me anything I wouldn't get as a non member, so I'm not
> obtaining any real value and the dues should be deductible.

  This is complex and we could have a very interesting
  discussion about it.

  Recently, I donated to the San Francisco Ballet. I suddenly
  have the privilege of attending certain recitals (not
  performances) and may even extend this privilege to a friend.
  Is this value or not? It is certainly a privilege reserved for
  only a few people. Whereas, everything at Noisebridge is open
  to the public.

--
Jason Dusek
Linux User #510144 | http://counter.li.org/