[Noisebridge-discuss] A simpler circuit for ... [driving multiple LEDs with minimal batteries]

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:19:21 UTC 2011

On Jan 17, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Dr. Jesus wrote:

>> Hmmm... I'm not sure that's not a switched mode JFET.
>>
>> But without more details I will defer to the guy with at @ieee.org
>> e-mail address and his teaching moments.

makes sense in the switched capacitor filter role... but need some way to integrate the output.

>>> For all switching regulators, you need some element that can store
>>> energy (a capacitor or, in these cases, an inductor), not just dissipate
>>> it (like a resistor or a switch).
>>
>> All transistors have some inherent capacitance.  That's why the
>> original zero-capacitor zero-inductor joule thief circuit works.
>>

>>> So Ohm's Law becomes a little more complex.
>>>
>>> If you don't want to use a boost converter, ...
>>
>> The OP was looking for a simple way to add lights to a scarf, IIRC,
>> and didn't have much electronics experience and some trepidation at
>> building anything complex.  I fear we have driven her away.  Or
>> perhaps I misjudge...
>
> Which solution did you end up going with, Meredith?
>
> Power supplies being what they are, it occurs to me that it would be a
> good idea to have a poster near the components showing the fundamental
> linear power supply types and the simpler switching ones.  I'll draw
> one up.  If anyone has spare switching ICs they'd like to donate, let
> me know before Friday and I'll add them to the poster.
>
> It would also be nice to put the typical conversion efficiencies next
> to each power supply type to help the reader select an appropriate
> circuit, but a quick look through my handbooks doesn't give me any
> useful data.  Is there a good reference that takes into account modern
> battery chemistries?

more input / output voltage dependent than battery chemistry from what i've seen.

efficiencies vary a lot; reasonable switching supply will generally be between 75% and 95%, but even board layout can impact that a bit, and the higher efficiencies will generally go to synchronous switchers (which use switched mosfets instead of a diode, and are more expensive).    in some cases, like buck/boost regulators where the output voltage can cross over the input voltage as the battery voltage drops, you will have ranges where efficiency tanks (though these are also applications where a linear regulator by itself just can't do the job).

Lower output voltages will have lower efficiencies in standard switchers; much of your loss will generally be the .5v from the schottky diode drop, and if you have a very low output voltage that can be a high percentage...

In both switchers and linear regulators, efficiency will change as the input voltage changes.

probably good to note too that you get switching noise with switchers, which in some designs is a bigger problem.

i'd be happy to supply some ICs, though the packages won't make clear what kind of regulator a part is... lots of switchers & LDOs in similar packages.  it's the surrounding parts that give them away.