[Noisebridge-discuss] Door Access Control

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:48:46 UTC 2011

Ok, then another cool feature might be:

+ verifiable way to gain access without logging, without a hostile
internal attacker from being able to log your comings and goings.  A
strong crypto handshake that is 1-time and can't be traced might be a
way to think about this.

As developers, we have inadvertently built highly auditable systems
that will eventually control nearly every aspect of our lives. It
behoves us to at least build some alternative technologies that have
the exact opposite effect.  Back in the late 90s there was a lot of
talk about totally offline, encrypted, anonymous and arbitrarily
divisable ecash, but with the rise of 9/11ism, I think most people
have backed off.  Even systems like muni's clipper card which is an
offline smart card does not protect privacy since the terminal logs
all activity and knows identity of the card.  We need to bring back
some of that 90s idealism, for fictional inspiration, I might suggest
the excellent novel "Cryptonomicon."

-ryan