[Noisebridge-discuss] A simpler circuit for ... [driving multiple LEDs with minimal batteries]

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 21:26:15 UTC 2011

"I don't understand the affair of soldering with hot air...
I transfer heat with more focus and speed using conduction than using
convection."

When you're assembling a whole board with most or all SMT components,
hot air is amazing. You can hand apply paste to each pad, put down all
the components at once, and then heat the entire board once, and
reflow everything without much effort. With a soldering iron, you have
to hold the part to make sure you don't move it, while holding the
solder and the iron - that takes 3 hands! And every pin on every chip
needs attention. With paste, you can be really lazy and it works
really well. And you're only ever doing one thing at a time - placing
paste, placing a component, or using hot air - so its really, really
easy. Also, hot air can solder chips that are nearly impossible to
solder with an iron - like a QFN chip.

Maybe someone could put on a hot air soldering class? I never have
time, but could try if no one else does.

-Taylor