[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: A simpler circuit for ... [driving multiple LEDs with minimal batteries]

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Thu Jan 20 00:38:56 UTC 2011

We have a toaster oven at the space, though I've not used it (I have one at
home that follows the heat profile for my solderpaste)

Sparkfun's tutorial: http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/59

Demo videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5lksMvmqQc -- pretty, sped up, and exciting
http://www.youtube.com/user/hpux735#p/u/3/N_195d7bP9M -- real time, less
pretty, showing just how sloppy you can be and get away with it.

I could probably do a SMD badge kit session with paste and the oven, but
it's actually harder than hand-soldering that kit (which it was designed
for).

HtH,
--
/jbm

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Christoph Maier <
cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com> wrote:

> Damn. Hit "reply" instead of "reply all"
>
> >> Does noisebridge have a hot air gun for soldering? That would go a
> >> long way towards people being less afraid of this kind of stuff.
> >>

> > somewhat outdated list of our equipment includes the Aoyue rework
> > station ("Great for 'fixing' Xbox"):
> > https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Resources/Electronics_Lab
> >
> > I don't understand the affair of soldering with hot air...
> > I transfer heat with more focus and speed using conduction than using
> > convection.
>
> Unfortunately, I couldn't convince Dr. Foote to make a video of his
> SMD reflow soldering hack @noisebridge - I don't know how he did it,
> just that he did it.
> It would come in handy now (not just @noisebridge ...)
>
> Christoph

Josh Myer 415.230.9791 <-- NOTE: New number!
 josh at joshisanerd.com