[Noisebridge-discuss] New Multimeter needed....

Zach . organic_unity at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 01:10:39 UTC 2011

wow, so many responses...

I didn't see what everyone had to say but I definitely want to reply to the "we cant have nice things at noisebridge" thing.  I think this is completely wrong.  The last meter probably isnt stolen but is just behind some furniture somewhere...digging around yesterday I found another $6 multimeter behind a cabinet.  There are so many nice things at noisebridge that are so easy to steal and are never touched.  Just last week someone left a very nice ibook sitting on a desk for over a week.  There are expensive laptops galore lying around and much more expensive equipment than a fluke meter that goes untouched.  I dont think theft at this point is an issue.

I strongly believe we should have a fluke meter.  the others pale in comparison and it is really the most important tool for any kind of hardware hacking.  I would be OK if we ever padlocked it to a chain to the hacking table.  I think there are many options to ensure safety from theft rather than just simply saying we cant have nice things.  There's lots of nice things and more coming in all the time that dont get stolen and should actually take priority over a sub $200 multimeter.

We dont need more $6 meters as we have a bunch of them.  We just need one decent one.  I appreciate the offers to borrow one but honestly, I don't want to worry about having someone elses property.  Thats the nice thing about NB stuff, you use it and leave it there-- no worries.  And I'm sure I'm not the only person that could really use a fluke.

I have a fluke at home already, though it doesnt read capacitance.  But I dont want to have to run home every time I want to repair something at NB.  a fluke meter is standard for any electronics repair place and this is something everyone would benefit from.

anyway thats my 2cents.  Ill be around tonight if anyone wants to talk about it.  Im not much for email and listserv stuff as I have carpal tunnel and typing is not easy for me.  but thank you for so many responses so quickly.

best,
Zach