[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge-discuss: mailing list versus forum system

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Jan 27 08:12:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

> i don't like forums. i like mailing lists.

I for one agree with this sentiment.

I don't really see the difference between a web forum and email,
feature-wise -- only one works over a standardized protocol that
allows users to interact with it in whatever way they prefer.

For what it's worth, if you feel like you're getting too much mail
from the mailing list and want to peruse it like a forum instead, just
filter your mailing list mail into another folder and look at it only
when you want.

That said, I don't ever want to be a detractor from anyone doing
something they feel will make the world more awesome.

Patrick, if you'd like to experiment with the hardware that already
exists at Noisebridge -- I say go for it. 2169 has got some expensive
electrical bills and a very tiny internet connection, so while I would
never recommend it as a location to host something that you'd care
about the longevity of, it's ideal for experimenting and getting a
configuration that works well before shelling out money or resources
elsewhere to host something properly.

If you're interested in experimenting on pony and getting some
configuration management or a database going to work on a
configuration for some forum software, let me know how I can help out.

Cheers,
jof