[Noisebridge-discuss] more member shelves = more happy members = more NB income

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Mon Jan 31 18:55:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Albert Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think the "we can't have locks because someone will destroy them"
> meme that Noisebridge has is overrated. Destroying other people's
> property is such a douchebag thing to do that I doubt anyone feels
> strong enough to do it.

Is it mean? Yes. Would I do it? No. But, I know people at Noisebridge who
seriously would.

> Meanwhile, having locks would provide some (emphasis on "some")
> assurance that you could bring a Nice Thing to noisebridge and not
> have it simply walk off.

I don't bring in nice things just for this reason. Which does limit my
Noisebridge experience in some ways. However, I also accepted what
Noisebridge is and not what I'd like it to be if I made my own.

> There are some logistical issues about having public/common
> Noisebridge resources behind a lock (who has the keys/are they around
> often/blah blah blah), but I don't see a reason people can't put one
> on their member shelf.

For example, we see there is a lock now on the money box in the
refrigerator. And, on the donation bins. I don't think this will be
challenged, but I could be wrong. I see, from recent conversations, why
people do have this.

Cheers,

Glen
--
Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
least.

-- Goethe