[Noisebridge-discuss] Advisory about recent thefts at Noisebridge.

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Mon Jul 11 03:47:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Gian Pablo Villamil
<gian.pablo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes, this is a very good point. Noisebridge is supposed to be a
> hackerspace. However, a lot of the stuff at NB is attractive to a much
> larger population than just hackers - free WiFi, space, kitchen, etc.
>
> If we are radically inclusive and let in everyone who finds the space
> useful - even if they otherwise don't cause problems - then NB quickly
> ceases to be a hackerspace, as the hackers are outnumbered by other people.
>
> For example, I like the Free School people, they haven't caused any
> problems, but let's face it, they are not interested at all in
> coding/electronics/game design/etc. They have found NB a convenient place to
> camp since it has a lot of useful infrastructure - but they are not quite
> hackers. (You can get into all kinds of semantic discussions about how they
> are "hacking" education)

 As some of know, some of us had an open meeting with Jorgen and Warren of
the Free School folk to talk over this challenge. I should probably have
taken notes, but it was pretty positive in general -- in particular being
inclusive themselves mean that they struggled with some of the same
problems, and were aware that some bad behaviour by others had been
projected onto them as a whole. (One of the reasons why I thought it was
important to talk with them was that I was worried that *anyone* who was
being suspected of bad behavior was being incorrectly labelled as a "Free
Schooler", and so this was a problem that was as pressing for them to solve
as us.).

Anyway, naturally we struggled a bit to describe what the ineffable essence
of a hackerspace was, but in the end I blurted something which I thought was
useful. I was trying to explain why teaching stuff at NB was absolutely
great, but wasn't at the heart of what happened there (in the way that it
clearly is for Free School):

What I said was, the way to Noisebridge's heart is to *make* something. It's
a community of makers. If you come here to *make* something amazing, you're
really not going to go far wrong with us.

It seemed like a good start, anyway.

A couple of other points:

1) I was expecting more controversy about cameras and entrance systems,
since they have provoked more drama than this before. It may be that people
are more comfortable with NB's direction, or maybe they haven't noticed this
conversation. Anyway, I'd really recommend that if you are planning
something like this to bring it to meeting, where you can have a long
discussion about it, but won't get caught out by people's exotic opinions.

2) I've been thinking a little about potential solutions too. One, off the
top of my head, is a rule that Noisebridge's open open hours are 10am-10pm.
After or before that, it's only available for "members and their guests".

This seems to give us a pretty broad canvas in which to let people,
including non-members, hack until late, but discourage people from turning
up late, and give us an excuse to ask people to leave. Some that I've spoken
to this about feel it would not work without some sort of physical access
mechanism, whereas I disagree. It gives us something we can choose to
enforce, whereas right now, all we have is a vague rule that you're actually
in the middle of stabbing someone we call the police (not good), or if we
don't like the cut of your jib, we can throw you out (also not good).

3) In mentioning this idea, I spoke to a friend of Rainey's, who noted that
Shakespeare and Company (the Parisian bookshop of note) has a rule that you
can sleep there, but only if you've written a biography first. They provide
typewriters.

Obviously, I don't necessarily think that anyone who builds a robot gets to
sleep in the lasercutter room, but I thought it was an interesting viewpoint
on somewhere that clearly has the same challenge. It's really hard to tell
Kerouac from some guy who is going to start trying to sell crack to the
RepRaps, and  like Shakespeare & Co, we don't want to exclude both when we
just want to encourage one and discourage the other.

d.