[Noisebridge-discuss] update on the shrine!

Michael C. Toren mct at toren.net
Tue Jul 19 01:12:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:16:59PM +0000, Jason Dusek wrote:
> > The main issue, for many people, was that the shrine was being
> > used in a religious context.
>
> That this is an issue is a concern of mine. If it was, so what?
> A space that can accept so many other things can not accept the
> exercize of the Buddhist religion? I don't see on what basis we
> can do that. Personal dislike of religion?

Hi Jason,

There are a few ways I can try to articulate why so many people find it
so offensive, and have such a violent negative reaction to it, but I think
the mailing list probably isn't the best medium for that conversation.  I
can see why you would ask, though, and I'd be happy to talk to you about
it a little bit the next time we see each other in person.

But, all of those reasons aside: Given that it *is* such a loaded issue,
that so many people *do* have a strong negative reaction to it, and that
there are so many other places to conduct such activities, it seems to me
that at the very least, doing so at Noisebridge is rather rude.

-mct