[Noisebridge-discuss] color changing SMD LEDs?

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Tue Jul 19 21:01:26 UTC 2011

> I would love to see what goes into the design of these little beauties, do
> you think it is a type of asic design? Who makes them and what kind of

Yes, they have a little built-in silicon IC die that has the switching
and current limiting.  I've never seen SMD ones, I bet fiting the IC
and the 3 LED dice and a heatsink all in a SMD package is not worth
the commodity prices they would get.

EMSL has a good rundown on similar ones (the "candle flicker" LED),
that shows how the die is encapsulated and wired (but not SMD alas):
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/flicker