[Noisebridge-discuss] ViewSonic G810 - 21" CRT Display - Perfect working condition. NB or CL or eWaste... that is the question.

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 01:50:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:

> Double what Andy said
>
> Jim: We've had CTR monitors in the past and nothing good has come out of
> them. They are a dime a dozen right now off of Craigslist and other
> channels, if you really want one go for it, if not Noisebridge does have
> a ton of other LCDs in perfectly good working order for LUG that you can
> use.

21" is not so easy to find. The color quality is still very much unmatched
by LCDs especially the old rebuilt ones at NB. Even disregarding that there
are no plenty around in this size.

Also the energy efficiency is confused. The power ratings on LCD are for the
unit, but disregard power waste in the power supply bricks = commonly about
30% (70% waste heat). Being a compulsive label reader(and knowing the
formula watts = volts * amps), my estimate is that an lcd energy saves about
one notch down in monitor size. So you are looking at 21" CRT (about) same
power use as 24" lcd.

If you want to locate huge energy hogs consider the big TV screens.  Or
consider building some high efficiency power supplies for the LCDs.
Unfortunate that the new CA laws for high efficiency TV power supplies did
not cover large computer monitors.

And CRTs can be easily recycled for FREE, by taking them to the Goodwill one
block away.