[Noisebridge-discuss] Tor consensus item

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 20:44:48 UTC 2011

I can't make it to the meeting tonight, but I have an addition to the
Tor consensus item I'd like to make.

I think Tor is something that Noisebridge should back, and personally
I'm in favor of it. But the nature of the Tor project is that there
are several things that could go wrong that we can't really predict,
and there are people who are passionately in favor of the project. The
problem I see is that if Something Should Go Wrong, I'd like
Noisebridge to be able to dissolve backing the Tor project by a
majority vote rather than through consensus. One passionate and
obstinate person could block Noisebridge from untangling itself from a
relationship that everyone else agrees has turned poisonous.

I really don't think this is likely, but I don't think it's impossible.

Again, I'm in favor of NB putting its name behind Tor. But I would
have to block any consensus item that doesn't allow NB to withdraw its
support through a majority vote of the members. It simply takes too
much power from the membership.

-Al